Thursday 31 March 2016

New Items and Shop News!

Good evening to you all,

Isn't it lovely to officially be in Spring? I just love this time of year, the winter has passed (officially!) and there are sunny days to come...being a Leo, this pleases me :) All the flowers are in bloom, there's the smell of freshly mowed lawns and the birds are nesting. Haaaaaa...

Anyway, back to business, as per usual, I have been busy, mainly with online and friend's orders actually but also with making things to stock a local shop with (eek! More on that later...) and stocking up for my up and coming craft fairs. This year, I have been able to secure at place at Newstead Abbey Craft Fair; more details about that later too.

So these are the items I have been making recently for the fairs. First up:



These are a new style of Freehand Machine Embroidery Toiletry/Cosmetics/Make-up/Wash Bags. They are made using a hard wearing duck material on the outside and a washable/wipe-able material on the inside so that you can wipe up the inevitable spills, drips and leaks that occur, making these very usable bags.

When my Mum and I were at the NEC recently for the Sewing for Pleasure show I picked up the felt balls you can see hanging from the zips and I think they are so cute! I think it's all the little bits that make a piece special and different from all the rest. I love these and am very pleased with how they turned out. They are quality bags that are really pretty! They can hold lots of products too, including extra deoderants and hand creams. :)

Next up:


My next batch (fifth actually) of mini Freehand Machine Embroidery Lavender Bags. These are always a good seller and they really are so sweet that they always bring a smile to people when they smell them. Except for some children I might add! I guess they haven't felt the need to smell the wonderful aroma of lavender yet... I took some of these into the shop recently and the lady who runs it commented a few days after how everyone was admiring them and that she thinks they won't be in there for long! They are small but they really pack a punch being filled with French lavender heads. Lovely.

And the next:


As we are now in Spring, I think it's a time to celebrate the new life, which means bringing out the bunting! I simply love these materials, Cath Kidston in fact and use them in many of my projects. They make for excellent bunting and this particular bunting has 12 flags, makes up to approximately 8 feet long and each flag hangs approximately 7". There are also approximately 22" worth of tie at each end so there will be no problem either pinning or tying to wherever it is needed. Plus, for bonus points, it is double sided so it can strung across a space or room and look beautiful from both sides. :) I will be making many of these are they are such fun, will last forever and are seemingly timeless.

And finally for today:


This is a new design of Patchwork Sling Bag, especially good to use in the Spring and up coming Summer. It has many features and plus points to it and I really enjoyed making it.

It is made using all different sized pieces of pink and white cotton patchwork pieces which have been interfaced, for strength and durability, then quilted onto fleece for padding and quality. The bag has an exterior pocket that fits a mobile phone, it has a magnetic snap closure with a cute flower covering, it has a long strap with one permanent end attached with hardware and the other end can be knotted to make it any length desired onto another piece of hardware. Internally it is lined with cream cotton, it has three pockets of different sizes plus a loop with a split keyring to add keys. The detail is beautiful with the lace, embroidery flowers and buttons and I am really pleased with how this turned out. It took two days mind you! I have decorated the front as this will be seen the most and on the back, I concentrated on the design instead of the decoration, so there is no risk of damage to it or to clothing.


 
 
 
 

This bag can be worn across the body or over the shoulder, simply as desired and it looks good in both ways. I know. I tried! I even patch-worked the strap too so it's all in-keeping. I am actually very tempted to keep it...but I know my Mum would say "you can't keep everything!"

Just while I am here then, I would like to announce that as I mentioned earlier, some of my goods will be going into a shop, well they are in and the shop opens on Saturday! It is called Two Little Magpies and is based in Beeston, Nottingham, which is just four miles from my home. It is a gift shop and showcases around 40 different local artist's work (including my own) and their end game is to increase the supply of hand made, hand crafted, locally designed and created items, instead of the usual store bought items that we have become accustomed to over recent years. They have a great attitude towards designers and creators and I am really excited for them. I have a really good feeling about the people and their project and when I went in a couple of weeks ago to take my stock, the shop was looking fab being kitted out with display units of all kinds, included map covered table tops, chairs mounted on the walls and old luggage trunks. Click on their Facebook page to see what's happening...

Well that's all for now folks, thank you for reading, please share this, leave me a comment or visit my Facebook page to see more of what's going on.

Julie.
(C) FMN Crafts 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment